My First Private Complaint in a Cybercrime Case: A Young Lawyer's First Step in Criminal Litigation
Every lawyer has a "first" that stays with them forever. For me, this was my very first private complaint in a cybercrime matter. In fact, it was the first private complaint I had ever filed in my legal career.
The client first approached me in May 2026. After examining the facts, I advised her to approach the Cyberabad Police and lodge an FIR, as the allegations clearly disclosed cognizable offences. She did exactly that. However, despite repeated efforts, the police did not lodge the FIR.
With no other effective remedy available, we decided to initiate proceedings by filing a private complaint before the learned IX Metropolitan Magistrate, Kukatpally.
The complaint was filed, and then began the waiting game.
It took nearly one and a half months before the case was assigned an SR Number. Finally, on 15 June 2026, I learnt that the SR Number had been allotted and that the first hearing had been fixed for 13 July 2026.
Like every young lawyer, I was excited.
On the scheduled date, I reached the court, completed the formalities, and got the file ready to be sent to the Bench. Just then, I came to know that the Presiding Judge of the IX Court was on leave that day.
Well, these things happen in litigation.
When I went to obtain the next date, the court staff initially proposed a much later date. I requested them to give an earlier date, explaining that the matter had already been pending for quite some time. Fortunately, they accommodated my request and fixed the matter for 16 July 2026.
On 16 July 2026, I reached the court and found my client already waiting. After greeting her with a smile, I went straight to the filing section. The Section Clerk was not at his seat, so I waited. About half an hour later he returned, attended to a few matters ahead of mine, and then my turn came.
I requested him to send the file to the Bench. He agreed and asked me to be present after the regular call work, around 11:30 a.m..
By 11:30 a.m., my client and I were present in the courtroom. The pass-over matters commenced, and I quietly waited for my matter to be called.
After nearly fifteen minutes, our case was called.
I asked my client to stand near the complainant's enclosure while I approached the Bench.
The learned Magistrate briefly interacted with my client and enquired about the nature of her grievance. After hearing us, the Court posted the matter to 31 July 2026.
Curious about the purpose of the next date, I respectfully sought clarification from the Court.
The learned Magistrate explained that summons/notices would first be issued to the accused and the police would also be directed to make preliminary enquiries. On the next date, the Court would record my client's sworn statement. Based upon the complaint, the sworn statement, and the material placed on record, the Court would then decide the appropriate course of action.If sufficient grounds were found, the learned Magistrate could direct an investigation under the applicable provisions of law by forwarding the complaint to the jurisdictional police station for registration and investigation, whereupon the matter would proceed in accordance with law. If the material was found insufficient to proceed, the complaint could be dismissed.
Lessons from My First Private Complaint
As a young advocate, standing before the Bench in my very first private complaint was a memorable experience. Law school teaches us the provisions of law, but courtrooms teach us procedure, patience, and practice. Waiting for files, understanding the court's working, interacting with the court staff, and appearing before the Magistrate are experiences that no textbook can truly teach.
This case has reminded me that litigation is not merely about drafting pleadings. It is equally about perseverance, procedure, and learning something new every single day.
"Every experienced litigator was once a nervous young lawyer standing before the Bench for the very first time."
Whatever the final outcome of this case may be, it will always remain special to me because it marked the beginning of my journey in filing private criminal complaints.
Disclaimer: This article narrates my personal experience as an advocate. The procedural steps discussed are based on the directions passed by the Court in this particular case. The procedure in private complaints may vary depending upon the facts of each case and the orders passed by the concerned Magistrate under the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita, 2023 (BNSS).
The story pauses here… until we turn the next page together.
— Anu
Spill. Stir. Stay tuned As Not all drama belongs in court.
#CyberCrime #PrivateComplaint #CriminalLaw #CriminalLitigation #AdvocateLife #Litigation #LawyerLife #CourtExperience #MagistrateCourt #CyberLaw

No comments:
Post a Comment